Look Ahead Lakers Mission: Look Ahead Lakers inspires at-risk students to believe a college education is in their future.
- Provide role models and mentors for students where the population is largely from low income families, underrepresented, or first generation. (schools designated as Title I Schools).
- Introduce students to the possibilities that exist for them if they stay in school and complete their education through high school.
- Help students realize that pursuing post-secondary education -college, technical school, apprenticeship etc., is a realistic and obtainable goal.
- Help students improve academic skills and ultimately increase graduation rates among at risk students.
- Connect with the community and allow Silver Lake College students an opportunity to perform community service and gain experience.
Get Involved: Create the Future!
Look Ahead Lakers has many volunteer opportunities available; and the level of commitment is entirely up to you! Whether you'd like to become a mentor, role model, volunteer for the campus visit day, or get involved with a fundraising or scholarship committee, your participation is greatly appreciated and very much needed! YOU make this program a success!
Mentors: Gain valuable experience and make lasting community connections as a mentor. Silver Lake College Mentors work closely with students as they progress from sixth grade through high school. Mentors meet with students twice a week to show their support, continue the college dialogue, and provide academic assistance. One mentor/internship credit is available for those who apply.
Role Models: Connect with local fifth graders and inspire the college dream. Silver Lake College Role models visit their students' elementary schools before and after tour day, act as guides for the campus visit day, and make at least three additional contacts. Oppportunities to become a role model are available. Click to register!
Campus Visit Day: Campus Visit Day Volunteers monitor the college, help with lunch, and assist with planned activities. Volunteers provide the necessary behind-the-scenes support to make the visit day possible.
Fundraising: Look Ahead Lakers relies on grants and the generosity of local businesses, community members, and organizations to operate. Volunteers help organize and implement fundraising events and actively pursue funding resources.
Parent/Scholarship Group: Help raise awareness about our program and develop a scholarship fund.
For more information, contact 920-684-6691.
Look Ahead Lakers In the News
Our first Look Ahead Lakers event was held on March 24, 2011 and was well received by our community and the local media. Below are some images from the event.
Click to view photos from the event. Photo gallery taken by Silver Lake College.
Look Ahead Lakers from Tara Wachowski on Vimeo.