TIPS ON HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF THIS FLU SEASON
The Student Life Team would like to share the following information, provided by Holy Family Memorial Medical Center, in preparation for the opening of school and the flu season.
- HFM is encouraging everyone to get a regular flu shot. (We will work with SLC's Human Resource Office and HFM to schedule flu shots on-campus)
- H1N1 virus is a respiratory virus. The CDC has published that the highest at risk group for the H1N1 virus are children and young adults (4 months to 24 years of age). Manitowoc County will receive approximately 36,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine. Pregnant women, health care workers, children and young adults are at the top of the distribution list.
- Take everyday actions to stay healthy:
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Use your arm or elbow to cover your cough instead of your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
- Stay home if you get sick. CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
For more information go to www.flu.gov or pick up an H1N1 general information flyer outside of the Student Life Office (Room 136).