- Traditional Program
- Social Science Minor
- Social Work Training Certificate (SWTC)
Social Work Training Certificate (SWTC)
Silver Lake College's Social Work Training Certificate (SWTC) coursework and internship program allows current psychology students or graduates with a bachelor's degree in an approved social service major to pursue certification as an entry-level social worker.
* Accelerated, 10-month cohort experience: January through mid-October coursework
* Blended delivery with 8-week accelerated classes designed for working adults. Take one class at a time.
* Face-to-face classes meet just one evening per week.
* Learn from experienced and licensed social work professionals.
* Receive personalized career coaching from a licensed clinical social worker.
* Faculty and staff help you successfully navigate each step of the certification process.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of social workers is expected to increase by 25 percent from 2010 to 2020. Completion of the requirements of the SWTC allows upcoming social work professionals to apply for certification as social workers. The title enables employment in positions that require this credential and broadens employment opportunities for those with an undergraduate degree in a related and approved social science.
Courses in the program prepare graduates to seek entry-level positions as a Certified Social Worker (CSW), or to enter a graduate program to become an advanced-level social worker (MSW).
All five courses are approved by the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS). Information on the licensing requirements can be found at www.dsps.wi.gov.
Work as a ...
* Case manager
* Adoptions counselor
* Child protection social worker
* Foster care case manager
* Youth social worker
* Public health social worker
* Geriatric social worker
* Rape crisis counselor
* Victim advocate
* Program coordinator
* Community organizer
* Grant writer
* Legislative analyst
* SOC 201 Social Welfare Policies and Services
* PSY 209 Human Behavior and the Social Environment
* SOC 301 Social Work Methods I: Individuals
* SOC 302 Social Work Methods II: Communities/Organizations
* SOC 303 Social Work Methods III: Groups/Families
* SOC 459 Career Intern Experience (an interships - 400 hours - or a one-year supervised social work experience is required for certification. Paid internships are available for qualified students)
For more information, please contact Elizabeth DenDekker, MSW, LCSW, Director of Family Services, at (920) 686-6119 or elizabeth.dendekker@SL.edu, or contact the Office of Admissions at 800-236-4752, ext. 175, or admissions@SL.edu.